About Me

I'm 21 years old - I'm interested in computers and anything about computers. I'm studying to get my HD or more in Software Engineering. I like travelling to other countries. I would like to try a fantastic parachute jump again. I already jumped 5 times. I flew a small plane for 16 hours and it was a great experience. Flying a plane is one of the most exciting experiences that I have ever had. The plane was a Cessna 152, a model from the year 1976. I had the idea that planes were like cars. I thought that an old plane was as dangerous as an old car. I was wrong. My blog will be about global warming, climate change and other subjects that the teacher will give us to submit. We will summarize the articles to understand the concept of the main subject. I'll use some skills like critical thinking, summarizing and organizing to make my articles look professional. There will be some main points that I'll need to analyze to make it easier for the reader to understand the main point of the subject. Another main skill I'll need to use to make my opinion clear and professional is using critical thinking skills to search for the perfect answers.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Riches await as Earth’s icy north melts

Summary:

Canada and Denmark are fighting to claim Hans Island which is very hard to find on the map. The reasons are to get oil, fish, diamonds and shipping routes. However, global warming took a part in this race by warming the ice cap faster than any other part of the world. This would help a lot of countries by making their shipping routes shorter. Another reason is that the Arctic holds almost 25% of the world’s undiscovered oil and gas. These are all reasons which have made governments use advanced equipment to drill for oil and gas. At the moment the Norwegians are building innovative vessels that will sail on water and ice. The climate is changing as old studies said that the ice in the North Pole will take 100 years to melt, but recent studies said it will melt in 10 - 15 years. The article ends by highlighting the degrees of exploiting the Arctic, e.g. oil spills, and pointing out the rights of the indigenous people of the Arctic.

Main idea:

Countries are fighting to claim lands for making profit and on the other hand they are ignoring a bigger issue and that’s global warming. They started to introduce new technology to get to the North Pole and get the resources. They say when the ice melts it will open new routes for trading and traveling for shorter distances.
Comment:

These countries are fighting over land while the entire world is dying slowly because of global warming instead of solving other issues. In my opinion Hans Island is for everyone in the world and most importantly there are many people living in the Arctic already and we should think about them.

No comments: